Yesterday the APA, IPA and PCAM joined together to host a one day Masterclass focusing on the use of music in commercials. Attended by a class of agency and production students, the event held talks by the top names in the industry and covered a range of topics; from the basics of building strong relationships with your collaborators, to the intricacies of mnemonics and the perils involved in music legality.
The full day’s schedule looked at:
- When and how you should brief your music company
- Budgeting and how to get your money’s worth with your music
- How composers translate storyboards and treatments and tell stories through their work
- Music legality and the importance of Musicologists
- An agency perspective on how to put great music into your ads, including Adam&Eve talking about their journey with the John Lewis ads
- How audio branding works and is created
- The future of music in advertising
A big thank you to all of our speakers, for the time and effort put into bringing your wealth of expertise and knowledge to our students.
Hils MacDonald Executive | Producer at Mcasso
Matt Wyatt | Producer at Mcasso
Scuta Salamanca | Founder and Creative Director at Soviet Science
John Murrell | Partner and Executive Producer at Finger Music
Nick Bennett | Head of Advertising at Audio Network
Simon Elms | Owner at Eclectic
Daniel Pemberton | Composer
Chris Smith | MD at Barbershop Music Co
Ayla Owen | Head of Music at BBH London
Matt Craigie | Head of Integrated Production at adam&eve DDB
Roscoe Williamson | Executive Producer at Massive Music
Paul Reynolds | MD at Massive Music & PCAM Acting Chair
Chris Phelps | Music Supervisor at Finger Music
A full guide & report will follow.