Closing: June 30th 2018
Posted on June 4, 2018
Post Production Engineer
Smoke & Mirrors’ story began in 1995 in Soho, London, when five creative talents came together to start a new kind of post production studio; one that was entirely creative-led. Ever since Smoke & Mirrors’ inception as the original London post boutique, we’ve never stopped growing.
That pioneering team of five has since become a global company with more than 350 employees in eight offices around the world. From New York to Amsterdam, Sao Paulo to Shanghai, together, we’ve stayed true to our commitment of putting creativity at the forefront of every decision and won over 150 awards in the process. We may have come a long way, but what still drives us is finding the beauty in the finishing touches. That’s where the magic lies.
We bring expertise and passion to our wide range of services; design & animation, shoot supervision, colour grading, visual effects and CGI. In addition, we have a dedicated print studio focusing on high-end design, retouching and photography.
In 2014, we launched our audio production studio expanding our offering further into sound design, voice and foley recording, mixing and original music composition. This enables us to provide our clients with a truly end-to-end service.
Furthermore, through our sister company Rock Hound, we offer full creative services for content creation and digital execution.
The Post Production Engineer will provide technical support for all of the Company’s production and corporate software and hardware systems.
You will have a proactive, service-minded approach and will provide day-to-day support for the company’s users as well as responding to alerts and emergencies in a quick and timely manner. Additional responsibilities may include technical design, planning and implementation of new systems, configuration and recommending updates of existing systems and system applications.
As well as having a broad technical knowledge and experience, you will provide a hands-on, think-outside-of-the-box approach when problem solving. You will be a team player and have the ability to manage appropriate projects as required.
In addition, you will support the more junior members of the department, offering them guidance and advice when appropriate, so they gain more experience and knowledge.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Installation, configuration, administration, maintenance and support of:
- Corporate software and hardware systems, including: Email, Document creation, printers.
- Servers Windows and Linux Servers
- Network software and hardware systems, including: firewalls, VLANs, routing and wireless
- Virtualisation software and hardware
- Production software and hardware systems
- Storage software and hardware for clustered files systems
- Render software and hardware systems
- Implement processes and resources to enhance Production workflows.
- Keep documentation on infrastructure, assets, applications and licenses updated.
- Provide first line technical support to all Smoke & Mirrors’ staff and freelancers.
- Maintain good working relationships with all Smoke & Mirrors’ staff and freelancers.
- Collaborate with other Technical staff and share knowledge and ideas with them.
- Maintain good working relationships with Smoke & Mirrors’ suppliers.
- The position is based in London, but some travel to the other offices may be required, as per business requirements.
- Some out of hours support will be required and some systems maintenance will happen out of hours as Production schedules dictate.
Skills and Experience:
- Essential – Experience with and good working knowledge of:
- Linux, Windows and OSX systems
- 1GbE and 10GbE networking equipment and security
- Common networking services – DHCP, DNS, SMTP, NFS, CIFS
- Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, Group Policy
- Production Software: Flame, Resolve, Maya, Nuke, Avid and Adobe applications
- Digital acquisition and delivery formats
- Desirable – an understanding of and willingness to learn about:
- Clustered file systems
- High availability computing systems and render farms
- Scripting languages, preferably Python and Bash
- Ability to quickly and effectively communicate with non-technical people face to face or via email.
- Ability to learn quickly and implement new technology.
- Ability to multi-task without supervision, either alone or as part of a team.
- Have a proactive, flexible approach and actively suggest new ideas that would benefit the company.
- Excellent team player – proven ability to resolve problems professionally and systematically.
- Comprehensive system documentation skills.
Strong customer service attitude and ability to work in production environment requiring adaptation to ever-changing production challenges.
Send your CV and cover letter to [email protected].